Initiative for Teaching and Learning Excellence Teaching and Learning Exposition
2:00pm - 5:30pm
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Join colleagues from across the campus in a celebration of Teaching and Learning.
2:00 p.m. Keynote Address | Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center
The Learning University: Assessment, Accountability, and Higher Education
Chris W. Gallagher, Associate Professor and Coordinator of Composition, Department of English, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Professor Gallagher argues that the best way for higher education to respond to recent calls for a narrow, test-based notion of postsecondary
accountability is to embrace a broader conception of assessment as a tool for making teaching and learning visible. Drawing on his research on Nebraska's unique school-based, teacher-led K-12 assessment system (Reclaiming Assessment: A Better Alternative to the Accountability Agenda, Heinemann, 2007)*, Professor Gallagher proposes an inside-out, rather than top-down, approach to creating
the learning university.
3:30 p.m. Poster Session and Reception | Great Hall, Van Brunt Visitors Center
In addition to poster sessions featuring the 37 previously funded Initiative for Teaching and Learning Excellence projects, the seven third-round grant recipients will be announced.
All events free and open to the public; refreshments provided.
Sponsored by the Initiative for Teaching and Learning Excellence and the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
* Copies of Professor Gallagher's book can be purchased at the University Bookstore (Nebraska Union) prior to March 29 and will be available at the Ross Media Arts Center before and after his address.
PREPARING ITLE-5 PROPOSALS
- Two proposals win funding - see our March newsletter.
- Call for Proposals - due to deans Oct. 17, 2008.
- Deadline for Deans to submit Year 5 ITLE proposals from their colleges was Oct. 28, 2008.
- Scarlet Announcement of Year 4 Awards
- Read more about the Year 4 grants
- Year 4 Overview
- Application Information
- Teaching and Learning Exposition - Thursday, March 29, 2007
- Proposal Assistance
- Podcasts are now available from Chris Thaiss' presentation on supporting student writing within and across the disciplines. This session is intended to help faculty prepare strong proposals for the ITLE-4 competition and help us all explore how we might better support undergraduate writing.
- Year 2 Overview
- Grants Defined
- Projects Funded
- Advising for Success
- One Campus, Many Views
- Program Innovation
- Teaching Fellows